Saturday, July 30, 2011

Multi-culturalism week

I'm writing this from the balcony of my apartment in Vancouver. I live in the West End, a neighborhood of low-, mid- and hi-rise apartment buildings, 90% of which consist of rental units. Also, it's right next to the gay village. Like a block away. And the Gay Pride parade is tomorrow. This alone foregrounds the idea of diversity, but when you add in the ethnic and racial mix of Vancouver - a dozen languages on every street corner, improbably ethnic combinations of romantic couples, fusion food that God never intended - you end up with a paradigm multi-cultural city. Drawing inspiration from my new (though likely temporary) home, this week I'll be writing about multiculturalism, diversity, and their enemies. Actually, mostly about their enemies. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment